From: "Rafael Ávila de Espíndola" <rafael.espindola@×××××.com>
To: Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o>, gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] unmounting a filesystem mounted by /init (initramfs)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:00:05
1 On Friday 29 July 2005 01:41, Eric Edgar wrote:
2 > unionfs is not supported at this time. It is purely experimental.
3 > There are some halt.sh script changes that need to be put inplace for it
4 > to work at shutdown.
5 No problem. I hope I can help with it.
6
7 > Also unionfs at the moment does not support remounting ro or rw. It
8 > will fail.
9 I want to remount a ext2 that is a constituent of it. Not the unionfs itself.
10 I have tried it with
11 mount -o loop ext2.img t1
12 mount -o loop squash.img t2
13 mount -t unionfs -o dirs=t1:t2 t3
14 mount -o remount,ro t1
15
16 and it works.
17
18 The problem is with the chroot that takes place during the boot.
19
20 > I am not even 100% sure that this is how unionfs should be implemented
21 > in the future. It is highly experimental and there are bugs with it
22 > yet. In the future it may not be part of the initramfs at all as it
23 > contains issues such as you are describing.
24 What is the plan? End /init with a ro / and make /sbin/rc add /memory?
25
26 > Mainly its inclusion to date is proof of concept only and may be
27 > radically different in the future.
28 Before that I had a hack to gentoo linuxrc to use a ext2 root with links to a
29 squashfs mount. Assuming that I can solve the remount problem, this will be a
30 much cleaner solution with a smaller deviation from the gentoo scripts.
31
32 > Rocket.
33
34 Thanks,