From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Unionfs (was: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:38:20
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 cg> That being said, I would love to see some work being done by
4 cg> somebody on poking around with unionfs. I think it would be very
5 cg> good for the upcoming LiveCD/Installer disk, as it would allow
6 cg> people to configure their settings, then transfer them to the
7 cg> running system once the installation is complete.
8
9 So, I've compared the Gentoo initrd with the Knoppix 3.8.2
10 (unionfs-based) initrd. The Knoppix init is different in some
11 interesting ways: for one thing they never pivot_root, nor chroot or
12 anything. They basically use the same / directory, that was created by
13 the kernel during initrd, for the entire lifetime of the system.
14
15 What they do, basically, is this (I've stripped out a lot of detail of
16 course):
17
18 mkdir /ramdisk /UNIONFS
19
20 mount -o tmpfs /ramdisk /ramdisk
21 mount -o unionfs -o dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/cdrom=ro /UNIONFS /UNIONFS
22
23 Now they have a unionfs filesystem at /UNIONFS, which has at the top a
24 ramdisk (really located in /ramdisk) and underneath that the cdrom
25 contents (really located in /cdrom).
26
27 They then proceed to, essentially, make everything in / be a symlink
28 pointing into /UNIONFS (obviously there are various complexities
29 involved here).
30
31 Then they just exec the real init.
32
33 I don't know why they don't use pivot_root; that seems cleaner to me.
34 But, maybe something about unionfs doesn't allow pivot_root to work.
35 I'll keep poking at this.
38 I _thought_ that Knoppix allowed you to make the top of the unionfs an
39 actual device, like a USB keydisk or something, instead of a ramdisk,
40 but offhand I don't see anything in their initrd that does anything like
41 that: it seems hardcoded to go to a ramdisk as far as I can tell. I'll
42 make sure of this; to me that's the real benefit of unionfs: to use it
43 to customize/personalize a generic livecd, and make those customizations
44 persistent. If you don't have this I'm not sure what the advantage of
45 unionfs is over the more traditional methods, like Gentoo's. I guess
46 the only real advantage is that the entire disk is modifiable rather
47 than just specific areas.
51 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
52 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
54 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
55 --
56 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list