From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] stage4 kernel config for genkernel?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:18:26
1 On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 04:56:43AM -0800, Chris White wrote:
2 > It's a TODO[1] right now.
3
4 Ah, thanks.
5
6 > Personally though I recommend setting up a config manually, as it's
7 > a lot easier to debug kernel setup related issues when you're the
8 > one who configured everything and not genkernel.
9
10 I configure my own kernels for my personal boxes, but I'm looking to
11 use Catalyst to build bootable USB sticks for teaching. If a student
12 shows up with a borked system, I just want to hand them a USB stick
13 and say, “Boot this for class today, and we'll sort out your native
14 installation problems later”. I think genkernel has a better shot
15 when I have no idea what hardware will be on the target machine (and
16 likely, neither does the student ;).
17
18 Cheers,
19 Trevor