From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst stages inter-dependencies
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:23:29
1 2009/12/2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
4 > Agree! No problem. Sorry for being a bit harsh.
7 Thanks a lot for taking time answering on each subject I needed help for.
8 But above it all, this answer is the most clear and understanding.
12 > > I think I don't get clear on my aim :
13 > > I want to make a build env with gcc/portage/all the build stuff.
14 > > From this env I want to build a target from scratch.
15 > > The target won't have build tools in it at any point.
16 >
17 > Why is this important in intermediate steps?
20 Because I'll need some targets to run against a specific version glibc.
21 I don't really know how to do that, but I guess I must compile target with
22 correct target gcc/glibc.
23 Then, I'll have to build some bin packages for just one or two port for this
24 target, so I guess I have to preciously keep my build envs.
28 > Well, as I mentioned before, it is certainly possible for you to add
29 > a kind of stage5, either using catalyst, or just with a single tar
30 > command. This final step would be run after the stage4 and every
31 > single file that you want to include in your final tarball would be
32 > explicitly named there.
35 That's quite a good idea. I'll think about it.
39 > It depends on if you have a strict requirement on the process, or on
40 > the final result. If the final result is the important thing, then
41 > catalyst can certainly be of help even though the internal process
42 > with several stages does not work like you describe.
45 That really helps. It's the good question.
46 As I'm not alone to decide, I'll have to ask.
51 Pierre.
52 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
53 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
54 Bill Watterson