From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:57:22
1 On Wednesday 14 December 2005 09:03, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
2
3 > Using a seed with only python 2.4 is the proper solution. If you do not
4 > have such a seed, build a stage4 tarball with only python in it with
5 > your new snapshot. You can use a 2005.1-r1 stage3 as your seed. Have
6 > the stage4 run python-updater in your fsscript. You can then use this
7 > updated stage4 as your seed for building stage1.
8
9 Python will be automatically upgraded at stage3, which means that catalyst
10 is creating a stage3 with both versions of python. Actually both versions
11 of anything that might be slotted during that build of the stage3 target.
12 Call me anal but that seems to be a rather poor state to leave it in.
13 Regardless, the functionality provided by the stage4 fsscript is a
14 workaround...
15
16 Perhaps I am wanting catalyst to do something that it is not intended to
17 do, maybe you can clarify for me.
18
19 I want to be able to create clean, pristine, generic x86 stage1s with the
20 current toolchain to use as my seed for subsequent builds. From mistakes I
21 have been making and what you have been telling me, I am going to assume
22 the following is the correct way to do this?
23
24 Create a stage1 seed to use for future stage2s
25
26 1) Use an unaltered stage1-x86-2005.0-r1.tar.bz2 from gentoo with a generic
27 spec file, no changes in anything, only specify the source and snapshot, to
28 create a stage2. This will create a stage2 with the current gcc, binutils,
29 glibc, etc...
30
31 2) Use the resulting stage2, with no customizations, to create a stage3.
32
33 3) Use the resulting stage3 to create a new stage1, which would now contain
34 the updated toolchain.
35
36 Use my new stage1 to create my customized stage2/3s
37
38 1) Use the stage1 seed created above, create spec file for stage2 with my
39 cflags, chost, cxxflags, and (where do use flags fit in)?
40
41 2) Use the new stage2 to create a stage3, I am assuming the cflags, chost,
42 cxxflags, and use flags will migrate from the stage2 via the
43 catalyst-generated make.conf and need no alteration?
44
45 I am a little confused about where my USE preferences need to be applied and
46 how they migrate from stage2 -> stage3 -> stage4. Would they go in the
47 stage2 spec file with stage2/use, or a env script, or would I need to hand
48 edit the stage2 make.conf before using it? Afterwards, will I ever need to
49 change the USE flags again for that particular release?