From: Jacques Landru <landru@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:10:30
1 Hi,
2
3 Before posting a question in a mailing list, I'd rather have a look in
4 the archive. Is there an archive of this gentoo catalyst mailing list ?
5
6 I am trying to build a gentoo liveCD. I used gentoo catalyst reference
7 manual, spec file examples distributed with this reference manual and
8 the "howto build a liveCD" from the Gentoo wiki. Each step is a
9 challenge. If I have success, I'll try to publish complementary notes,
10 especially, for the traps I encoutered (kernel panic due to ramfs size,
11 CDROM not known, squashfs patch...). Publication of a minimal liveCD
12 subset of the kernel config parameter would probably be a great help
13 for me.
14
15 I have two questions:
16 A) The goal of that livecd is a zero installation virtual model for
17 network lab. It's based on VNUML (Virtual Network User Mode Linux
18 http://www.dit.upm.es/vnuml/) a spanish project based on usermode
19 linux.(UML).
20 As the liveCD will be used to launch UML (usermode linux) virtual
21 machines , I need a SKAS (Single Kernel Address Space) patched kernel on
22 the liveCD. The Blaisorblade's SKAS patch
23 (http://www.user-mode-linux.org/~blaisorblade/patchlist.html) is not
24 avalaible in the official gentoo kernel package database, what is the
25 best way to intergrate my specific skas kernel on the liveCD? I have not
26 found how to automatically integrate specific kernel patch on the
27 development-sources during the catalyst stage2 or the genkernel step.
28 What I plan to do is to uncompress the iso file, change the kernel in
29 the isolinux dir and compress again the iso file. Is there a more
30 elegant way? Is it possible to force catalyst to use a local kernel
31 source dir instead of one of the on-line sys-kernel source package ?
32
33 B) As this liveCD will be used in a pedagogical computer lab, I would
34 like it to boot as a generic user, instead of the root. I don't want the
35 student having superuser rights on the real host (student will have
36 superuser rights in the usermode virtual machine). What is the best way
37 to do a "user livecd" with catalyst ?
38
39 And a note : I test my liveCD iso file using QEMU virtual machine
40 instead of burning it. With 2.6.x kernel QEMU need "clock=pit" param
41 when kernel is launched. In the python sources of catalyst I found a
42 "/boot/kernel/xxx/kernelopts" parameter which can append kernel
43 parameters in the isolinux.cfg file. I 'll probably add a gentoo-qemu
44 kernelboot to have a "qemu" entry in the isolinux.
45 This "/boot/kernel/xxx/kernelopts" is not refered in the catalyst
46 reference manual. I think in a future version of the reference manual,
47 it would be a good idea to mention it.
48
49 Jacques Landru
53 -----oOo-----
54 Jacques Landru