From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Unionfs (was: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:54:14
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 cg> I'm just curious why this needs to be done within the initrd, at
4 cg> all. I guess it could be, but I could also see it working outside
5 cg> the initrd.
6
7 If you do it after initrd, you'll have to be very, very careful.
8 "Outside" the initrd you've invoked the real init, and it's starting to
9 bring up the system. If you haven't already set up the unionfs before
10 that, you better be darn sure you do it immediately... if not you will
11 have applications coming up with the wrong configs, failing because they
12 can't write to /etc and/or /var, etc.
13
14 cg> Anyway, if we were to do it, we would allow for mounting a USB key
15 cg> or other such device. Most likely, it would be via a
16 cg> unionfs=/dev/$blah option, that would mount that device, along
17 cg> with the CD, as a unionfs.
18
19 Yes. I have this working right now, although it just uses a ramdisk
20 today. Obviously using my current method, in order to use a keydisk or
21 maybe even a file on a FAT partition which contains an ext2 partition
22 and is mounted as a loop FS, you would need to add smarts to the initrd
23 (linuxrc) to detect the hardware and mount those partitions.
24
25 cg> One thing I probably would *not* do is make the entire CD a
26 cg> unionfs, as I just think it would be a waste of energy and would
27 cg> make troubleshooting much harder.
28
29 I'm not sure what you mean by "not make the entire CD a unionfs"...? Do
30 you just mean that some root directories would not link to the unionfs
31 but instead would go to the cdrom? Or...?
32
33 cg> Things like /var, /etc, /root, and /home would definitely be cool
34 cg> to not only be writable, but also survivable from a reboot.
35
36 Yes, that's the ultimate goal of course.
40 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
41 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
43 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
44 --
45 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list