From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] small distros - setups and practices?
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 19:41:33
1 On May 2, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 10:20 +0800, Max Arnold wrote:
4 >>>>> Sure. In fact, I have 2 different "host types" right now, a
5 >>>>> "master"
6 >>>>> and a "build host" though they can reside on the same machine.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Which roles they have?
9 >>>
10 >>> I'm not sure that I follow. Are you asking what specific tasks
11 >>> would be
12 >>> performed by the roles above?
13 >>
14 >> Yes, what specific tasks would be performed by these host types and
15 >> what are benefits of such distinction?
16 >>
17 >> I guess a "master" purpose is to serve updates, or things are more
18 >> tricky?
19 >
20 > Yeah, you're thinking way too small. ;]
21 >
22 > The master server will be the control interface for custom profiles
23 > and
24 > binary repositories, which are built by the build servers. It will
25 > (eventually) also be the configuration engine for each server. I hope
26 > to eventually have a complete system capable of controlling a Gentoo
27 > system from birth to death, from a centralized location.
28
29 Is there any public repository where you are developing this stuff in ?
30 I'd like to contribute if possible.
31
32 Additionally I'd be interested in your ideas on managing the
33 configuration from this master host....
34 We're currently using puppet for that which works fine for us, curious
35 why you'd want to re-implement either puppet of cf-engine.
36
37 Ramon
38 --
39 gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o mailing list