From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Setting generation 1 and generation 2 Java VMs in stage 1
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:01:25
1 On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 09:34 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Ted Kosan wrote:
3 > > The problem I am encountering in stage 1 is that the Java packages need to have
4 > > the generation 1 and 2 VMs set before they can compile or they will exit with
5 > > an error.
6 > >
7 > > Does anyone have any thoughts on how the java-config-1 and java-config-2
8 > > scripts can be run after the Java VM packages have been compiled in stage 1 but
9 > > before the Java packages that depend on them are compiled?
10 >
11 > I'm assuming you mean livecd-stage1 here. The only practical way to get around
12 > this is to extract your seed stage3, chroot into it, upgrade those packages,
13 > exit the chroot, and re-tar/bzip the chroot.
14
15 ...or use a stage4 tarball as a seed.
16
17 > The other not-so-practical methods are to edit the ebuilds in your snapshot so
18 > that the commands are run automatically or edit catalyst to do it at the proper
19 > point.
20
21 Please don't edit catalyst unless you're sure what you're doing. For
22 one, the amount of work necessary to make something like this work would
23 be enormous, and catalyst already has methods in place to facilitate
24 this without having to edit anything. =]
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 x86 Architecture Team
30 Games - Developer