From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst changes for improving automation
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 13:04:34
1 On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 22:44:07 -0500
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The catalyst-auto automation scripts live in a repo separate from
5 > catalyst. That increases the difficulty of changing catalyst's
6 > interface, and it doesn't seem to offer any advantages otherwise.
7 > (Keeping build specs in a separate repo allows them to be updated
8 > independent of catalyst and that is valuable). Additionally, since the
9 > primary way catalyst is used is via this automation, it makes sense to
10 > support this workflow in catalyst directly.
11 >
12 > But to get there, there are some changes to catalyst that I think are
13 > improvements on their own and simplify the path to integrating
14 > automation capabilities directly into catalyst. That's what I'd like
15 > to discuss here.
19 I have been thinking for the past few years that the automation could
20 benefit from using a buildbot to run the stages. In that way it
21 would set the required variables, run the stages in sequence. Upon
22 failure, buildbot makes it easy to re-run failed steps from where they
23 left off. Or initiate unscheduled builds. It also makes it easy to see
24 detailed logs (by anyone with a browser if the buildbot is public
25 viewable) of the various steps for debugging, etc..
28 Perhaps with your new spec file, you add a varialbe that lists the
29 stages to run in sequence. In that way it would preserve the old
30 capability of running single stages independantly or a full sequence.
31 Or perhaps a cli option to override the setting on an unedited spec
32 file.
33
34 ie:
35
36 [build.stages]
37 stage1
38 stage2
39 stage3
40 livecd1
41 livecd2
44 sorry, not familiar with toml
45
46 In that way a spec file could be edited simply to restart from any
47 point with a single variable edit without removing unused [build.???]
48 definitions for the full run. This would be particularly useful when
49 troubleshooting hidden/delayed stage build fails.
52 Overall, I do agree that the releng automation scripts capabilities
53 should be part of the caltlyst repo in order for them to be up-to-date
54 with catalyst code.
55
56 I have limited time and resources lately, so can't help out much until
57 I get back home (probably Xmas) largely due to covid... I only have
58 this small laptop and my eyes are not that good to be doing lots of
59 work on a tiny 14 inch screen and a stage run to take hours instead
60 of minutes... (yes, I got spoiled with 2 28 inch 4K displays, 16-core
61 128k ram system at home...)
62
63 Brian Dolbec
64 <dolsen@g.o>