From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] DEPEND/RDEPEND vs. binary packages
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:36:23
1 This may well have nothing at all to do with Catalyst, but perhaps some
2 of you have run into this:
3
4 Apparently, when you are installing a binary version of a package, the
5 DEPEND packages are not installed. But, some parts of the ebuild are
6 still run, such as pkg_setup(). Is this true? In Catalyst, as you
7 know, the package is only built from source the first time and
8 thereafter the binary package is installed; I've run into various
9 packages which are not handling this properly.
10
11 As two examples: one package does an "inherit webapp", and then in
12 livecd-stage1, the webapp.eclass webapp_pkg_setup() function tries to
13 source ${ETC_CONFIG}, which is /etc/vhosts/webapp-config. But, of
14 course, the webapp-config package is not installed when installing
15 binary packages, because webapp.eclass only adds it to the DEPEND list.
16
17 Another is the freeradius package which links with a shared library from
18 the libtool package (libltdl.so), but has no dependency on it and so
19 it's not installed during binary package setup. At runtime, the daemon
20 fails due to the missing shared library.
23 How do you deal with problems like this? Are these bugs in the ebuild
24 that should be filed against the package in question? Or...?
28 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools
29 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
31 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
32 --
33 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list