From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How is initrd built?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:14:38
1 %% Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o> writes:
2
3 ee> You technically cannot extract the cpio archive as far as I can tell
4 ee> because it really is multiple cpio archives concatenated together.
5
6 Ah! OK.
7
8 ee> cd ${INITRAMFS_OVERLAY}
9 ee> find . -print | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ${CACHE_DIR}/cpio/initramfs-overlay.cpio.gz
10 ee> cat old-oldinitramfs.cpio.gz initramfs-overlay.cpio.gz > new-initramfs.cpio.gz
11
12 Wait, that's not right is it?
13
14 Is the initramfs really a concatenation of compressed cpio files? I
15 don't think it is... gzip can't handle that.
16
17 It must be a compression of a concatenation of cpio files, right? In
18 that case the above command line is not correct... I'd need to create
19 the cpio file, concatenate it to an uncompressed copy of the existing
20 initramfs, then compress the whole thing again.
21
22 Yes?
26 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
27 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
29 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
30 --
31 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list