From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst Xorg Enabled livecd
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:51:37
1 On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:58 -0400, Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 > I'm new to catalyst first time using it. I've looked over the spec
3 > file templates and such. I get them but not the process...
4 >
5 > do I build a stage1 and then a stage2? and then 3 and so on?
6
7 If you want the least amount of problems, yes.
8
9 > what packages are CRITICAL to be on the livecd?
10
11 That completely depends on what you're doing. The big one is
12 livecd-tools. However, it is so important, that we now force it on for
13 livecd-stage1 builds. The only other one that I would say that you'll
14 likely want/need will be coldplug/hwsetup.
15
16 > I want the packages that the cd runs to be current... like xorg 7, gcc
17 > 3.4.6-r1.
18
19 Make your own snapshot.
20
21 > do I have to build my own tarball? instead of using the gentoo 2006.0
22 > one for this?
23
24 You should use a 2006.0 tarball only as a seed for your own stage1
25 tarball. When you use software that's 6 months old for your seed for
26 livecd-stage1, you end up with way too many problems.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
31 x86 Architecture Team
32 Games - Developer