From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Too many problems with groupadd when creating stage3
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:56:15
1 On Thursday 29 October 2009 08:34:48 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > On 10/28/2009 03:42 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > not sure why we're still even using this stage[123] system. seems like
4 > > catalyst could be implemented in all of three commands:
5 > > ROOT=/tmp/stage3_pre emerge system -e
6 > > chroot /tmp/stage3 env ROOT=/tmp/stage3 emerge system -e
7 > >
8 > > then we wouldnt need these USE="build bootstrap" hacks nor would we need
9 > > the packages.build cruft
10 >
11 > I added a target called 'system' over 6 months ago in the catalyst-3 branch
12 > in git (now the master branch) that does exactly this. There are a few
13 > things missing compared to a "real" stage3, but it's just stuff like .ph
14 > files and other random things that can't be generated when $ROOT != "/".
15
16 i'm not entirely sure the second ROOT= is necessary if a clean up script does
17 a sufficient job of catching all accumulated cruft. i was just throwing the
18 idea out there again, but seems it isnt terribly necessary if it's been picked
19 up at some point.
20 -mike