From: Georg Lippold <georg.lippold@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] LiveCD UNIONFS overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:06:11
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am currently trying to get UNIONFS on the basis of disklabels to work.
4 The background is that I want to mount a USB stick where changed data
5 shall be stored on persistently. The problem is, that I want to use a
6 Postgresql Database and other stuff that writes at various locations on
7 the filesystem, so explicit mounts are not that easy to do and unionfs
8 seems to be the right solution.
9
10 As far as I understood it, genkernel can use something like
11 unionfs=/dev/sda1 but with usb devices it might as well be /dev/uba1 and
12 so on. It would be cool if I could say something like
13 unionfs|LABEL=USB-STICK or unionfs|UUID="123456" (the labeled mount is
14 far more interesting to me).
15
16 I looked around a bit and it seems as if a patch for genkernel would be
17 sufficient to do that, but then parameters for arguments should be
18 delimited by | instead of =. At least, that would be consistent with the
19 runlevels in livecd-stage2.spec and wouldn't break theme selection.
20
21 If in /usr/share/genkernel/generic/initrd.scripts the function parse_opt
22 is changed with the corresponding | as delimiter, then one wouldn't have
23 to change anything else. It would look like this:
24
25 parse_opt() {
26 case "$1" in
27 *\|*)
28 local key_name="`echo "$1" | cut -f1 -d\|`"
29 local key_len=`strlen key_name`
30 local value_start=$((key_len+2))
31 echo "$1" | cut -c ${value_start}-
32 ;;