From: Eric Edgar <e_edgar@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Some easy sugestions to implement, I hope
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:18:47

Well the biggest reason not to touch the cache is that it discourages fixing the actual problem.  If the cache or chroot is modified manually it leads to problems when you want to rerun a build and it fails and you cant quite remember what you did to fix the issues.

3

Catalyst is designed to encourage fixes to bugs.  These bugs can get posted to bugzilla and the ebuilds are fixed for everyone.

4

If you are having these issues the caches should resume allow you to resume relatively painlessly.

5

As of catalyst2 you can define overlays and put in your fixed ebuilds.  Hopefully if you find something that needs to be fixed you will post a bug report with the fixed ebuild included.  This is a way of encouraging fixes.

6

Yes it would be trivial to allow entry into the chroot in the middle of a run.  But it doesnt lend itself to self documentation and repeatability.

7

Another issue that arises from entering the chroot manually is that the caches arent necessarily vaild anymore.  If you do something really funky it is possible this will get cached in the caches and could easily mess up future runs of catalyst.

8

Catalyst isnt really built to handle what might happen with automatic interaction.  It really is designed to be hands off.

9

Eric Edgar

10

Catalyst Developer