From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst changes for improving automation
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 18:37:10
1 Sorry, I missed one of the questions, but it requires a longer answer anyway.
2
3 On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 5:56 AM Daniel Cordero <gentoo.catalyst@××××.ws> wrote:
4 > How would a target that depends on a different rel_type work? Forks in
5 > the dependency tree.
6
7 I haven't given that a lot of thought yet, but it's something I would
8 like to have a plan for.
9
10 We build 32-bit and 64-bit systemd and non-systemd stages on SPARC, as
11 well as a bootable ISO.
12
13 32-bit systemd: stage1 -> stage3
14 32-bit non-systemd: stage1 -> stage3
15 64-bit systemd: stage1 -> stage3
16 64-bit non-systemd: stage1 -> stage3 -> livecd-stage1 -> livecd-stage2
17 (We skip stage2)
18
19 This means that we have some build chains that are entirely
20 independent from one another and could actually run in parallel. E.g.,
21 a 32-bit build could happen at the same time a 64-bit build runs
22 without any conflicts. Our SPARC system has 256 threads, so it would
23 like to build in parallel if possible.
24
25 Similarly, a stage1 build from one of the 32-bit build chains could
26 happen in parallel with a stage3 build from the other. We wouldn't
27 want to run the same type of build concurrently if they share a binary
28 package cache, because we would inevitably spend CPU cycles doing
29 duplicate work. E.g., the systemd stage3 build running in parallel
30 with the non-systemd stage3.
31
32 Whether all of those build chains should be specified in the same
33 ".build" file... I don't know. It seems like it could get a bit
34 unwieldy.
35
36 Maybe we could have a top-level ".build" file that references each of
37 these build chains, described in other files? If we did that, that
38 would certainly allow us to specify a different rel_type per chain.
39
40 I'm not aware of cases where we'd want different rel_types in the same
41 chain. Do you know of such a case?