From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:18:56
1 As you can probably guess by the subject, I've added
2 catalyst-2.0_pre20051111 to the tree. I plan on finalizing catalyst 2.0
3 by the end of the month, so I really need testers for this. If you have
4 questions about this release, feel free to ask them on gentoo-catalyst.
5 For bugs, please files bugs.
6
7 To install it, you will need to do the following (on x86):
8
9 mkdir -p /etc/portage
10 echo "dev-util/catalyst" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
11 echo "dev-util/catalyst ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
12 USE="doc" emerge catalyst
13
14 Please use USE="doc" to get the updated example spec templates. The
15 livecd-specs package has not been updated for catalyst 2.0, so there's
16 no need for USE="examples" unless you're unfamiliar with catalyst.
17
18 This is slotted to run along-side catalyst 1.x, so it shouldn't break
19 anybody's machines. Once catalyst 2.0 goes final, it will no longer be
20 slotted, as we are completely superseding catalyst 1.x with catalyst
21 2.0.
22
23 The main differences in your spec files are all going to be in
24 livecd-stage2:
25
26 livecd/cdfstype -> livecd/fstype
27 livecd/archscript (removed)
28 livecd/runscript (removed)
29
30 Everything else *should* be the same. There's also a ton of new options
31 for caching, so catalyst 2.0 runs should be dramatically faster for
32 repeated runs. We're planning on using this for 2006.0, so we want it
33 bug-fixed and stabilized by no later than the end of the year. Please
34 test this release.
35
36 This release also brings about the addition of the "stage4" target. A
37 stage4 is essentially livecd-stage1 + livecd-stage2, rolled into a
38 tarball, rather than an ISO. This allows you to deploy a pre-configured
39 (yay fsscript!) tarball out to multiple machines, install the
40 bootloader, and reboot. While I we are interested in bug reports on the
41 stage4 target, I ask you to focus time on the "classic" targets: stages
42 1 through 3, and livecd-stages 1 and 2, as we will be using these on the
43 next release.
44
45 Thanks again,
48 Chris Gianelloni