From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:59:43
1 On 06/26/2011 05:46 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > I need to appologise for the last comment I made in my previous message
3 > about you not discussing this issue. I see that you did mention it, but
4 > it was before I came on board.
5 >
6 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-catalyst/msg_78cd6eae401bfa7a499418bc6cbc225e.xml
7 >
8 > I hope you will accept my appology.
9
10 Yes, no problem.
13 > However, I would still like to know why this conversion was needed;
14
15 To increase the fun maintaining it for present and future.
16 Run "make && man ./files/catalyst.1" to see how much better it looks now
17 than a few days ago. I wouldn't have spent time on improving it at
18 *roff level.
21 > all
22 > we had to do was update the manpage. The conversion does make it more
23 > difficult for us to generate reproducable tarballs, which means that for
24 > gentoo's qa policy someone always has to keep the tarball we use in
25 > their dev space and we have to point to that tarball with SRC_URI.
26
27 I'm not following. We have to keep the tarball on mirrors anyway. Not?
28
29 No generated files means maintaining some things at several places.
30 Without the generator, mips2 and mipsel2 would still be listed on
31 catalyst's webpage.
34 > But, that would not be necessary if we generate the tarball from the git
35 > repo e.g. the way openrc does.
36
37 Alright. I don't want to limit myself to a static man page (or live
38 with generated files under version control).
39
40 Best,
44 Sebastian