From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Catalyst <gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: [gentoo-soc] Catalyst Python reimplementation
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:13:32
1 On Sun, 2013-04-21 at 05:08 +0400, Dmitry Selyutin wrote:
2 > Hello everyone!
5 > My name is Dmitry and I'm writing here because I've found a proposal
6 > to rewrite Catalyst in Gentoo GSoC-2013 Ideas page[1]. I know that
7 > application period hasn't started yet, but I already think that I'd
8 > like to take up this job. However I've found that before posting
9 > application I must perform some actions:
12 > 1. Use the tools that you will use in your project to make changes to
13 > code.
14
15 This is the big one. To be able to work on catalyst, you first must be
16 running and using gentoo linux and be familiar with it. Gentoo's
17 package management tools are central to running and using catalyst to
18 build various output media. If you are not already using gentoo, you
19 best get a partition free and install it asap. Become familiar with it.
20
21 tools to be familiar with:
22
23 portage and it's cli tools, emerge, emaint, portageq
24 gentoolkit's equery, eclean
25
26 You must be familiar with using the above tools and solving build
27 problems and package installation failures.
28
29 Then start trying to use catalyst to generate some targets.
30
31 This is all information that will need for you to succeed in your
32 project proposal.
35 > 2. Participate in our development community.
36 > 3. Give us your contact info and working hours.
39 [snip]...
40
41 > The other question is that it is really hard to find some project
42 > which uses python and emit patch to it to pass requirements. Could you
43 > advice a good bug, please? :-)
46 Don't worry about that yet. It is early :)
47
48 > If you think I have a chance, I can even answer the third question
49 > (about work hours, contacts, etc.). :-)
52 > Looking forward to your answers!
55 This will be something for your actual proposal. It can be done later.
58 > P.S. Thanks for being so patience to read such a long letter till the
59 > end!
62 > --
63 > With best regards,
64 > Dmitry Selyutin