From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] master rebase of catalyst 2
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:45:29
1 All, it is safe to forget about the branch I was talking about with over
2 100 commits on it. Git has some tools which can help us figure out which
3 commits need to go to master from catalyst_2.
4
5 First, make sure your repository is up to date.
6
7 Once that is done, one thing you can do is look at the commits on
8 catalyst_2 by exporting them to patches.
9
10 To do this, check out the catalyst_2 branch and run this command:
11
12 git format-patch master
13
14 That will turn all of the commits on catalyst_2 into patches and save
15 them in your current directory.
16
17 It is also possible to let git tell you which commits it thinks are
18 already on master by running this command while you are on the catalyst_2 branch.
19
20 git cherry master
21
22 This produces a list of commit hashes preceeded by '+' or '-'. In this
23 example, the commits that start with '+' are the ones git thinks are
24 NOT in the master branch.
25
26 At that point it will be a matter of looking at each commit manually,
27 deciding if it needs to be ported to master and making the appropriate
28 change on master as well.
29
30 Do you have any thoughts about how we can go about forward porting these
31 changes from catalyst_2 to master?
32
33 Thanks,
34