From: Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Error messages during startup
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 20:36:29
1 Which version of catalyst are you using?
2
3 On 14:36 Fri 06 May , Paul Smith wrote:
4 > Hi all;
5 >
6 > I've created a livecd using Catalyst, by starting with a standard stage3
7 > then generating a livecd-stage1 and livecd-stage2. I've booted the iso
8 > image (in VMWare) and it does boot and I get a root prompt.
9 >
10 > However, I get some errors and issues during the boot process and I
11 > though maybe someone here could point me to some solutions:
12 >
13 > 1) Early in the boot process I get an error message saying I "passed an
14 > undefined mode number", then it asks me to choose a console mode
15 > (80x24, etc.) What do I need to do to have it pick one without
16 > asking me?
17 The framebuffer really doesnt work with vmware atm. Use the gentoo-nofb
18 option or ignore this error.
19 >
20 > 2) It then asks me what keymap I want; what do I need to do to have it
21 > just choose the default keymap?
22 The default keymap should be selected after a timeout passes. At the
23 moment there is no option to change this.
24 >
25 > 3) It then can't find /etc/mtab, and I get this:
26 >
27 > >> Booting.warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
28 > ..
29 > Segmentation fault
30 > *: Failed to unmount the initrd!
31 > INIT: version 2.84 booting
32 >
33 > then it appears to continue properly, but this doesn't look good.
34 > Ideas as to this? /etc/mtab is supposed to be managed by mount, I
35 > thought... why isn't it here? And what's dumping core?
36
37 I believe this is occurring because udev nor devfs have been compiled
38 into the initrd. See #4 on how to fix this. This is a hunch and has
39 not been tracked down yet. Let me know if this resolves your issue.
43 > 4) Then it tries to start devfsd but can't find /sbin/devfsd. What I
44 > really want is to run udev on here, not devfs. Thoughts on this?
45
46 in livecd-stage2 set
47 livecd/devmanager: udev
48
49 you may also need to set
50 livecd/gk_mainargs: --udev
51
52 in order to have genkernel compile udev support.
56 > Thanks for any insight you can provide...
57 >
58 > --
60 > Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools
61 > "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
63 > These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
64 > --
65 > gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list