From: Mike B <mikeybs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] live cd stage 1 package conflict
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:23:49
1 I am fairly new to catalyst. I've managed to build a couple live cd's, but
2 am interested in configuring things a bit better/more deeply, especially in
3 regard to Xorg.
4
5 Here is my stage livecd 1 conf file
6
7 # cat livecd_stage1.spec
8 subarch: x86
9 version_stamp: 200508311
10 target: livecd-stage1
11 rel_type: default
12 profile: default-linux/x86/2005.1
13 snapshot: 20050830
14 source_subpath: default/stage3-x86-2005.1
15 portage_confdir: /catalyst/portconfdir
16
17 livecd/use:
18 X
19 opengl
20 -gtk
21 -svga
22 ipv6
23 socks5
24 livecd
25
26 livecd/packages:
27 baselayout
28 livecd-tools
29 genkernel
30 ucl
31 kudzu
32 module-init-tools
33 hotplug
34 irssi
35 aumix
36 metalog
37 pciutils
38 parted
39 mt-st
40 links
41 star
42 strace
43 raidtools
44 nfs-utils
45 jfsutils
46 usbutils
47 speedtouch
48 xfsprogs
49 e2fsprogs
50 reiserfsprogs
51 hdparm
52 nano
53 less
54 openssh
55 dhcpcd
56 mingetty
57 pwgen
58 popt
59 dialog
60 rp-pppoe
61 gpm
62 screen
63 mirrorselect
64 penggy
65 iputils
66 hwdata-knoppix
67 hwsetup
68 bootsplash
69 device-mapper
70 vim
71 gpart
72 pwgen
73 pptpclient
74 mdadm
75 tcptraceroute
76 netcat
77 ethtool
78 nmap
79 zisofs-tools
80 squashfs-tools
81 xorg-x11
82 gdm
83 vnc
86 when i try to build this I get an error during the dependency check before
87 the big emerge, right after portage gets merged. The error is:
88 ------
89 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
90 >>> sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.22-r2 merged.
91
92 >>> clean: No packages selected for removal.
93
94 >>> Auto-cleaning packages ...
95
96 >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
99 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
100 dparm nano less openssh dhcpcd mingetty pwgen popt dialog rp-pppoe gpm
101 screen mirrorselect penggy iputils hwdata-knoppix hwsetup bootsplash
102 device-mapper vim gpart pwgen pptpclient mdadm tcptraceroute netcat ethtool
103 nmap zisofs-tools squashfs-tools xorg-x11 gdm vncCalculating dependencies
104 ...done!
105
106 !!! Error: the sys-libs/libkudzu package conflicts with another package.
107 !!! both can't be installed on the same system together.
108 !!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.
111 Traceback (most recent call last):
112 File "modules/livecd_stage1_target.py", line 21, in run_local
113 cmd("/bin/bash "+self.settings["sharedir"]+\
114 File "/usr/lib/catalyst/modules/catalyst_support.py", line 102, in cmd
115 raise CatalystError,myexc
116 CatalystError: <unprintable instance object>
117 None
118
119 !!! catalyst: LiveCD stage1 build aborting due to error.
120 --------
121
122 I always get this with the "X" USE flag, if I change it to "-X" everything
123 work fine, even if i leave the "opengl" USE flag on. Even with "-X" I am
124 still able to build a functional live cd through stage 2, that autoloads
125 Xorg when I use the following in my live cd stage 2 config:
126 livecd/rcadd: x-setup|default xdm|default
127
128 However, there are some problems, for one the resolution is 800x600. Also I
129 want to load gdm instead of xdm. I think for gdm I am supposed to create a
130 "livecd/root_overlay:" with my own /etc/rc.conf file that specifies:
131 DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
132
133 is "livecd/root_overlay:" supposed to have a path to a directory as a value?
134 and if yes, the contents of that directory are copied onto "/" correct?
135
136 In regards to 800x600 resolution, I would prefer this be 1024x768, one
137 solution I am considering would be to include a "livecd/fsscript:" that
138 contains some code to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Is this a workable solution?
139 does this script get executed after X is configured? are there any better
140 options?
141
142 Some other random things...
143 I would like the root password preset instead of scrambled...
144 "livecd/fsscript:"?
145
146 I want to be able to use some masked packages, specifically vnc for now, but
147 more in the future. I noticed "portage_confdir:", and I am thinking that
148 info should go into a package.keywords file in that directory. It seems the
149 stage 2 live cd config file takes this variable, but does stage 1?
150
151 I haven't yet built a stage 1 successfully (that is with a "-X" USE flag)
152 with a "portage_confdir:" setting in my stage1 live cd config file, although
153 it is included in the one i posted above, which is my current experimental
154 version.
155
156 It appears that vnc gets built in stage 1, so I think I need the portage
157 configs to be operation during the stage 1 built.
158
159 The functionality I am trying to achieve with vnc is to use the "+server"
160 USE flag when i build it so that i can load the X module, which i will also
161 need to edit xorg.conf for, so hopefully i can do that that with
162 "livecd/fsscript:".
163
164 Well any help answering any of these questions would be much appreciated, as
165 is the time of whoever should read this.
166
167 Thank you for some wonderful software,
168 mike