From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] unmounting a filesystem mounted by /init (initramfs)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:26:52
1 On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 09:00 -0300, Rafael Ávila de Espíndola wrote:
2 > On Friday 29 July 2005 01:41, Eric Edgar wrote:
3 > > unionfs is not supported at this time. It is purely experimental.
4 > > There are some halt.sh script changes that need to be put inplace for it
5 > > to work at shutdown.
6 > No problem. I hope I can help with it.
7 >
8 > > Also unionfs at the moment does not support remounting ro or rw. It
9 > > will fail.
10 > I want to remount a ext2 that is a constituent of it. Not the unionfs itself.
11 > I have tried it with
12 > mount -o loop ext2.img t1
13 > mount -o loop squash.img t2
14 > mount -t unionfs -o dirs=t1:t2 t3
15 > mount -o remount,ro t1
16 >
17 > and it works.
18 >
19 > The problem is with the chroot that takes place during the boot.
20 >
21 > > I am not even 100% sure that this is how unionfs should be implemented
22 > > in the future. It is highly experimental and there are bugs with it
23 > > yet. In the future it may not be part of the initramfs at all as it
24 > > contains issues such as you are describing.
25 > What is the plan? End /init with a ro / and make /sbin/rc add /memory?
26 >
27 > > Mainly its inclusion to date is proof of concept only and may be
28 > > radically different in the future.
29 > Before that I had a hack to gentoo linuxrc to use a ext2 root with links to a
30 > squashfs mount. Assuming that I can solve the remount problem, this will be a
31 > much cleaner solution with a smaller deviation from the gentoo scripts.
32
33 We have no intentions of supporting unionfs support just yet, as it is
34 still in heavy development and currently *only* usable on a correctly
35 built Gentoo CD. We definitely won't be supporting it for live systems,
36 as it isn't intended to be used as such, which is the primary reason why
37 it *relies* on CDBOOT.
38
39 Now, we're always willing to accept patches, but we probably won't be
40 investing time into making changes to the code now without them, except
41 to better the CD support.
44 Chris Gianelloni
46 Games - Developer
47 Gentoo Linux