From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] documentation
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:38:29
1 On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 10:38 -0600, William Kilian wrote:
2 > I went through the threads thus far and pulled out what I think should be added to the online documentation. I don't know the proper way to add it to the documention. It's all written by John Davis, Chris Gianelloni, or me. I edited a little.
3 >
4 > FAQs:
5 > -----
6 > Where do I put per-package use flags, mask settings, etc.?
7 >
8 > Catalyst supports the configuration files in /etc/portage. Just add the
9 > following to your spec file.
10 >
11 > portage_confdir: /path/to/custom/etc/portage
12 >
13 > Note that you need to use the same portage_confdir for your seed stages.
14 > --
15 > Should I really build my own stage1 or just use stage1s from gentoo mirrors?
16 >
17 > Just use the stage1 from the mirrors, unless you use
18 > --
19 > How do I keep a GRP updated?
20 >
21 > To keep your GRP updated, all that you will have to do is regenerate
22 > your snapshot and rebuild the GRP set. Catalyst will take care of the
23 > upgrades automatically by only rebuilding the packages that have been
24 > upgraded.
25 > --
28 Added to the FAQ, and I added your name to the Contributors list.
29 Thanks!
30
31 > Refererence:
32 > ------------
33 > Options clst_storedir and clst_sharedir go in catalyst.conf.
34 > --
35
36 Done.
37
38 > Don't use a symlink for your portage_confdir.
39
40 Don't need this as we are going to use a bind mount for portage_confdir.
41
42 > --
43 > For grp, tinderbox, and livecd targets, the target/use setting uses normal portage USE syntax.
44 > --
45
46 Added to the FAQ.
47
48 > Your seed stage should never have anything in /etc/portage, at all. If
49 > you are using a portage_confdir for one target, then you will need it
50 > for them all (unless it doesn't apply). For example, if you make a
51 > change to glibc in your portage_confdir, then you must use the same
52 > portage_confdir throughout the entire build process, or glibc will be
53 > rebuilt in a later target when emerge --newuse is called. Everything
54 > must be consistent across all targets, otherwise the latest target's
55 > environment takes precedence.
58 I specified the importance of portage_confdir continuity in the
59 reference manual.
60
61 > The seed is basically devoid of portage configuration data because it
62 > shouldn't have an /etc/portage or a /usr/portage/profiles and its
63 > make.conf (if any) is ignored. The spec file use flags during an
64 > applicable build are functionally equivalent to USE= in make.conf on a
65 > normal system. The profile information is provided by the snapshot and
66 > portage_confdir provides the information a normal system's /etc/portage
67 > directory would provide. The snapshot's profile, target/use, and
68 > portage_confdir are used the same way as portage on a normal system uses
69 > its profile, USE in make.conf, and portage_confdir.
72 This point belongs in more of a HOWTO document .. (good point though)
73
74 Cheers,
75 --
76 John Davis <zhen@g.o>
77 The Gentoo Foundation
78 Trustee | Release Engineering Manager | Catalyst code monkey
79
80 ---
81 "When people learn no tools of judgement and merely follow their hopes,
82 the seeds of political manipulation are sown"
83 - Stephen Jay Gould