From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst as non-root
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:44:43
1 On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 08:36 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Philipp Riegger wrote:
3 > > Did anybody else try running catalyst as non-root and can give me hints
4 > > on how to do it?
5 >
6 > We don't support catalyst running as non-root. If you want to do it, you're on
7 > your own.
8
9 When catalyst was designed, nobody thought about running it as a
10 non-root user. Well, I'm interested in adding support for running as a
11 non-root user. The problem we're definitely going to face is device
12 node creation. I've spoken with solar about using fakeroot and it is
13 something that we would like to pursue for the next catalyst
14 incarnation. Of course, we want catalyst to use fakeroot/chroot based
15 on catalyst.conf settings, so we can't just replace the current code.
16 This is a planned feature for the catalyst 2.1 branch, but it hasn't
17 been started yet, so it'll be some time before we get to this point.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
22 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
23 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
24 Gentoo Foundation