From: Toon Verstraelen <Toon.Verstraelen@×××××.be>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] stage4 spec
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:23:47
1 On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 08:19 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 17:13 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 > > Toon Verstraelen wrote:
4 > > > Is it a good idea to create a sort of stage4 spec for catalyst that does
5 > > > the installation of the node image (in the chrooted environment on the
6 > > > server) automatically? Although this would be a complicated spec, in my
7 > > > case the benefit would be huge for creating production quality node
8 > > > images. I'm interested in doing a bit of catalyst-development to achieve
9 > > > this, but how do I get started?
10 > >
11 > > IIRC, the feature is already implemented in catalyst2.
12 >
13 > Correct. Eric Edgar (rocket) and myself have been working closely with
14 > Tim Yamin (plasmaroo) and we're going to be producing a catalyst 2.0 and
15 > genkernel 3.2, both which will require each other. The features of both
16 > are not finalized, so don't expect to see either of them released in the
17 > near term. Catalyst 2.0 is almost a complete re-write by Eric Edgar.
18 > Expect to see a package.mask'd version of both before the final release,
19 > to allow us to iron out the final bugs and get user feedback.
20 >
21 > The easiest way to follow what is going on is probably by checking out
22 > the ChangeLog[1] via viewcvs.
23 >
24 > [1]http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/src/catalyst/ChangeLog?rev=HEAD&root=gentoo&content-type=text/plain
27 Hi,
28
29 Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that the idea is already being worked
30 on. Currently I'll create the images manually until catalyst2 is out.
31 I'm looking forward to it!
32
33 greetings,
34