From: Thomas Drueke <t.drueke@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst Newbie
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:30:12
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm new to catalyst, so please forgive me if these are FAQ's.
4
5 I browsed through the net for some documentation and found the usual
6 places (Wiki, Docs). But I'm still a little bit confused if I can build
7 a liveCD with X, Fvwm and some apps stuff on it. I read some success
8 stories, but I didn't get it right how to do this.
9
10 I follow the steps describe in the Wiki and got an image but I'm not
11 confident that everythings works as expected. Before wasting a CD I want
12 to make sure that I understood correctly how things should be done with
13 catalyst.
14
15 So here are my questions:
16
17 1. The Stage 1 and Stage 2 spec-files in the wiki, do they correspond to
18 the normal Gentoo Stages 1 & 2 installation steps ? I would expect: yes.
19
20 2. How do I get all the apps into the CD image ? I tried to make a
21 spec-file for stage 3 but it fails to complete with
22
23 !!! catalyst: Target "livecd-stage3" not available.
24
25 The head of my stage3-spec-file looks like this:
28 ## Template for Gentoo Linux release bootable LiveCDs
29 ## John Davis <zhen@g.o>
30
31 subarch: x86
32 version_stamp: 2004.3
33 target: livecd-stage3
34 rel_type: default
35 profile: default-linux/x86/2004.3
36 snapshot: 2004.3
37 source_subpath: default/livecd-stage2-x86-2004.3
38 livecd/cdfstype: zisofs
39 livecd/archscript: /usr/lib/catalyst/livecd/runscript/x86-archscript.sh
40 livecd/runscript: /usr/lib/catalyst/livecd/runscript/default-runscript.sh
41 livecd/cdtar: /usr/lib/catalyst/livecd/cdtar/isolinux-2.13-cdtar.tar.bz2
42 #livecd/cdtar: /usr/lib/catalyst/livecd/cdtar/isolinux-2.13-memtest86+-cdtar.tar.bz2
43 livecd/iso: /tmp/gentoo.iso
47 I wonder if this is the right thing to do as I didn't found any
48 documentation stating that I should go for something like this. Should I
49 put all packages, that I want on the CD, in the "stage 1" spec-file ?
50
51 Hope this isn't too basic. :-)
52
53 BR