From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] changing inittab
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:58:23
1 On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 10:28 -1000, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
2 > > <rhetorical>
3 > > Why don't people trust that the guy who writes all this crap knows what
4 > > he's talking about?
5 > > </rhetorical>
6 > >
7 > > :P
8 >
9 > Your assertion is that it's completely obvous that a variable named
10 > "bootargs", that passes options to the kernel, would have other magical
11 > side effects?
12
13 No, my assertion is that when I provide a solution to someone's query
14 that I might know what I'm talking about. ;]
15
16 > > Normally, yes, it would only be good for kernel output, but as someone
17 > > else mentioned, you have livecd-functions.sh that re-writes the inittab.
18 > > Well, guess what triggers it? That's right, a "console=" option on the
19 > > command line. If you type (or via catalyst, add) console=something,
20 > > livecd-functions.sh (via functions.sh in baselayout) will interpret it
21 > > and modify inittab accordingly before we ever even hit runlevel 3, so it
22 > > starts a console on that serial line for login.
23 >
24 > Seriously, can you cut and paste that paragraph into the manual?
25
26 Ehh... What manual?
27
28 There's no manual for catalyst that is current. Also, I don't have the
29 time (or the desire) to document all of the idiosyncrasies of the
30 packages that make up a Gentoo LiveCD build. We use quite a few
31 packages that other people don't need to use on their own media.
32 Remember that everything written by Release Engineering is designed for
33 Release Engineering consumption. No guarantees are made to anyone else
34 on anything. We guarantee that it will build a release the way we want
35 it given a particular package set with specific versions, the exact ones
36 used by us for our builds. Also, realize that livecd-tools is *not*
37 catalyst and shouldn't be documented with catalyst.
38
39 > Thanks for your help.
40
41 You're quite welcome. This list is pretty much here just so people can
42 get help using catalyst, so feel free to ask anything that you need.
45 Chris Gianelloni
46 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
47 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
48 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
49 Gentoo Foundation