From: "Kessler
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-catalyst] alsa in livecd stage1
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:25:35
1 > Thanks a lot for your help. We have a _lot_ more packages here, so
2 things
3 > take a bit to sort out.
4
5 Yes I have a few more lines myself but none of them are relevant to
6 making Alsa work.
7
8 > I use the alsa driver package, so these modules shouldn't be required
9 as I
10 > see it, right?
11
12 Setting up Alsa in the kernel is the recommended way of doing things
13 actually, it really does involve less work. By using the alsa-driver
14 package you will need to re-emerge the alsa-driver anytime you recompile
15 your kernel. The only real advantage to using the driver package is
16 newer drivers, personally I prefer the much more stable and tested
17 drivers that are built into the kernel for stability. After trying both
18 methods with my live cd adding the kernel options just plain worked
19 better for me while using gnome. I can't speak for KDE, although I am
20 getting curious and maybe today I kick off an build using that just to
21 see what happens. Good Luck!
22
23 Paul
26 > -----Original Message-----
27 > From: Andreas Rueckert [mailto:a_rueckert@×××.net]
28 > Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:19 AM
29 > To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
30 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] alsa in livecd stage1
31 >
32 > Hi!
33 >