From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] unmounting a filesystem mounted by /init (initramfs)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:54:25
1 On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 10:48 -0300, Rafael Ávila de Espíndola wrote:
2 > On Friday 29 July 2005 10:26, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > We have no intentions of supporting unionfs support just yet, as it is
4 > > still in heavy development and currently *only* usable on a correctly
5 > > built Gentoo CD. We definitely won't be supporting it for live systems,
6 > > as it isn't intended to be used as such, which is the primary reason why
7 > > it *relies* on CDBOOT.
8 > >
9 > > Now, we're always willing to accept patches, but we probably won't be
10 > > investing time into making changes to the code now without them, except
11 > > to better the CD support.
12 > What do you think about making the linuxrc mount a unionfs with the ro part
13 > only and using /sbin/rc to add /memory after starting the /dev management?
14 > This will make the memory device available to be remounted ro during halt. Do
15 > you consider this to better the CD support?
16
17 Except unionsfs does not support being remounted ro... period...
18
19 > Ps.: I know that building a custom system demands the maintenance of some
20 > hacks. I don't expect gentoo's scripts to work unmodified, but I want to make
21 > the hacks as small as possible and contribute a little bit.
22
23 Well, it looks like we're going to have to remove the unionfs support
24 from genkernel, simply because it is not ready for use and now we're
25 already having people filing bugs on it to make it work how they want it
26 when it isn't fully implemented yet. Basically, we're receiving too
27 much noise on it.
30 Chris Gianelloni
32 Games - Developer
33 Gentoo Linux