From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] master rebase of catalyst 2
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:26:38
1 On 06/26/2011 07:03 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I checked out a local branch from master earlier today and rebased that
5 > on catalyst_2. Now that branch has over 100 commits, which will be the
6 > combination of everything on catilyst 2 and current master.
7 >
8 > So, how would you suggest we get that branch back out where everyone can
9 > see it? Do you want me to put it back out on master? It won't be a
10 > forced update, because I used rebase instead of merge.
11 >
12 > The only catch is I don't know how broken that will leave master.
13
14 That sentence^^^ rings at least warning bells in my ears. I don't know
15 how well you know the code, how easy conflicts were to solve. What may
16 be important is that we have little (if any) test cases and that we get
17 little help from Python and Bash to detect breakage for us. If that
18 transition adds a pile of bugs that we'll find by chance somewhere next
19 year, that would be a problem.
20
21 Personally I may have chosen a road moving both branches towards each
22 other until their diff resolves to zero and than add a fake merge
23 commit. But that's dry theory - no idea if that would have worked well.
24 Plus I woulnd't make it alone and not in a few days or hours.
27 > What are your thoughts?
28
29 Please put them on a new branch (not master) while we're not sure ff the
30 resulting commits could or should be the future.
31
32 Thanks,
37 Sebastian