From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Q about portdir_overlay in Catalyst
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:01:22
1 I had a problem with the portdir_overlay option in the snapshot section.
2
3 What it appears to be doing today is merely copying in the contents of
4 the overlay directory on top of the existing Portage directory
5 structure. I'm certainly no Portage expert, but I don't think that's
6 how the $PORTDIR_OVERLAY setting in Portage works, is it? I think if
7 Portage finds a directory in $PORTDIR_OVERLAY it takes those contents
8 and ignores any contents from the "normal" /usr/portage... doesn't it?
11 The problem I had was I wanted an updated version of dev-python/quixote
12 so I created my own overlay directory dev-python/quixote, then I created
13 an ebuild in there, ran ebuild ... digest, and called it good. I didn't
14 have a ChangeLog or metadata.xml in my version, nor did I have the
15 previously existing ebuilds in my version.
16
17 But, when I tried to use the portage_overlay ability of Catalyst, it
18 broke because it copied my files into the portage directory without
19 deleting the previous contents. Portage got upset because it found
20 files there which weren't listed in the Manifest, and refused to merge
21 the package.
24 I fixed this by copying all the original files into my overlay, but it
25 seems to me that Catalyst should not just copy the overlay files: it
26 should remove the existing directory (e.g.,
27 ...usr/portage/dev-python/quixote) first, then copy in the overlay
28 version.
29
30 Thoughts on this?
34 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools
35 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
37 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
38 --
39 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list