From: Nelson Batalha <nelson_batalha@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Using catalyst to build encrypted livecd's
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:52:00
1 Nelson wrote:
2 >Cool, I'll look into it. If anyone offers to patch the *.py files I can do
3 >the rest and specify what it needs to be done.
4
5 Sorry, I thought you ment look into support encryption directly on catalyst
6 :S.
7
8 Like I said, I think it's not possible without a patch. Yes, luks is
9 provided by genkernel, I wasn't sure how so I mentioned a (temp) hack. But
10 the compressed image cannot be touched by Catalyst now. The alternative is
11 make a neatly integrated support on it, with fields like encryption/seed.
12
13 >There's at least one or two more LUKS-related patches/bugs in
14 >bugzilla.
15
16 Considering that and the 2 loops requir., maybe it's better to stick to
17 loop-aes.
18
19 I made a simple picture, just for those not following, with a simple
20 correction (no need to do mksquashfs twice, we just dd it to the open loop):
23 ----------------------------------------------
24 ----------------------------------------------
27 ---(X)---> means "mapped" to by X.
28 %%%%%%%%%%%%%
29
30 Crypt (luks):
31
32 Step 1: random_file (made with dd, same size as squashfs) ---(losetup)--->
33 /dev/loop1----(luks)----> /dev/mapper/root (this is the unencrypted dev
34 where we put the root)
35
36 step 2: image.squashfs ----(dd)----> /dev/mapper/root
37
38 %%%%%
39
40 Crypt (loop-aes)
41
42 step1:
43 random_file_as_above ----(loop+aes)----> /dev/loop0 (the unencrypted dev
44 where we put the root);
45 step2:
46 image.squashfs ----(dd)----> /dev/loop0
49 %%%%%%%%%%%%%
50
51 Uncrypt:
52
53 luks:
54 encrypted_squashfs ---(losetup)---> /dev/loop0 ---(luks)--->
55 /dev/mapper/cd_root
56
57 loop+aes:
58 encrypted_squashfs ---(losetup+aes)---> /dev/cd_root.
59
61 Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
62 http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
65 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list