From: "Kessler
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Sudo Issues
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:59:24
1 I seem to be having two issues with sudo in it's default setup under
2 catalyst. I'm not quite sure if this is a configuration problem or a
3 known issue. If I start up terminal and from the command line type sudo
4 su - I get the following message:
8 Fatal server error.
9
10 Server is already active for display 0
11
12 If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start
13 again
17 After a few seconds it drops me to the proper command prompt, after that
18 if I drop back to the regular user shell and try it again then there is
19 no error and it works fine.
23 The second is if I try to launch any graphical application from a
24 command line such as ethereal I get the following error:
28 Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
32 But if I simply su to root and execute ethereal it works perfectly. I
33 have searched several forums on this one, and most of the posts just say
34 "well some programs don't run right as root". Ethereal on the other hand
35 requires special permissions to handle the network interfaces and should
36 be run with sudo, so I doubt that is the problem.
40 Thoughts?