From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst enhancement
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:01:59
1 On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 14:02 +0200, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > To be clear, I'm willing to do all the work to get this implemented, I
3 > already hacked up our current catalyst-2.0.1 install to do just this.
4 > It is however rather hackish and i would like to get this in the main
5 > tree. The patch would be against current svn.
6 >
7 > I'm curious about a number of things:
8 >
9 > * Would this functionality be useful for more people on the list ?
10
11 What is stopping you from using an absolute path on the machines? If
12 you control them, standardize on a checkout location.
13
14 > * Would this patch ever stand a chance of getting integrated ?
15
16 Not unless we can come up with some reason why we would need to add the
17 code complexity to catalyst. Essentially, there would have to be a few
18 use cases that would absolutely prohibit using absolute paths, otherwise
19 I don't see a reason for changing it. This has been brought up before
20 and always shot down simply because nobody could ever give me a reason
21 why an absolute path wouldn't work for them and only a relative would.
22 If you can show that what you want to do cannot be accomplished with the
23 current code and absolute paths, then it would be accepted. Remember
24 that simply making something easier for you isn't a valid reason for
25 hacking up catalyst internals that much.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
30 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
31 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
32 Gentoo Foundation