From: Andreas Rueckert <a_rueckert@×××.net>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] alsa in livecd stage1
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:33:05
1 Hi!
2
3 On Monday 10 October 2005 15:25, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 17:47 +0200, "Andreas Rückert" wrote:
5 > > Problem is, that I want to compile KDE with USE="alsa", so
6 > > I'd have to move KDE plus all it's dependencies to stage2, which
7 > > would be most of our livecd.
8
9 The problem with this is, that all the packages, that depend on KDE, also go
10 to stage2. Browsers, Skype, XMMS, Office etc. Basically all the big stuff,
11 that requires lot of compile time.
12 No we have to create quite a few releases (i.e. to test our installer), and
13 most of the time we get away with a stage2 rebuild. With KDE and co in
14 stage2, our release cycles will slow down significantly... :-(
15
16 > Bleh. I forgot to mention this.
17 >
18 > You can have KDE in livecd-stage1 *with* USE=alsa so long as you're
19 > using a 2.6 kernel sources. All you do is *do not* put alsa-driver in
20 > livecd-stage1, and put it in livecd-stage2.
21
22 It was always there. It's just, that we alway had Alsa in our dependencies, so
23 it was always compiled in stage1. I'll check that again...
24
25 Thanks a lot for your tips Chris and Paul.
26
27 Ciao,
28 Andreas
29
30 PS: Is there a KWord-i18n package? I'd like to have a localized kword on my
31 CD, but not the entire KOffice. KWord works, but no i18n yet. TIA.
34 > KDE does not require that the ALSA *drivers* exist before it will
35 > compile, just that the libraries are there. The 2.6 kernel sources
36 > provide virtual/alsa, so there's no issue.
39 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list