From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Cc: zhen@g.o, Nathan de Vries <ndv@××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: Catalyst issues.
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:46:06
1 On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 00:09 +1100, Nathan de Vries wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 > I noticed on the catalyst page that you were willing to answer questions.
4 > Hopefully I'm not being rude by taking you literally :).
5
6 Well, the gentoo-catalyst mailing list would probably be more helpful.
7 I'm sending this mail on to there, so you can get help not only from us,
8 but also from other catalyst users.
9
10 > I would like to create a liveCD with the following:
11 > 1. X.org
12 > 2. Window manager of some sort
13 > 3. Firefox
14 > 4. JRE
15 > 5. Apache1
16 > 6. PHP + PEAR
17 > 7. Postgres
18 > 8. My CMS installed in /var/www, and the database installed too
19 >
20 > When the CD boots, I would like the user to see a browser window with my
21 > CMS loaded (basically it's a demo CD).
22 >
23 > First question. Is this possible? Even just a yes or no answer would be
24 > great as I'd know if I've been wasting my time for the last week :D.
25
26 Anything is possible with catalyst. The question is how much work do
27 you want to put in it. If you ask if catalyst has the support to do
28 everything you want automatically, then no. You would have to write
29 custom scripts yourself.
30
31 > Second question. Do you have any hints on how to do the post ISO creation
32 > configuration? Ie, setting things to start up automatically, putting my
33 > CMS in the HTDOCS etc...
34
35 Yeah.
36
37 Don't.
38
39 Instead, all configuration should be done by a fsscript that you call
40 via livecd/fsscript. This script can be anything, so long as it is
41 executable.
44 Chris Gianelloni
46 Games - Developer
47 Gentoo Linux