From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] small distros - setups and practices?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:07:14
1 On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 20:18 +0800, Max Arnold wrote:
2 > 1. Create small, task-oriented stage4 for fixed hardware configuration
3 > 2. Deploy it to several machines (now looking for deployment variants and installers)
4 > 3. Maintain it (updates)
5
6 This is rather funny, since I'm adding support for exactly this stuff to
7 catalyst (and via other tools which will utilize catalyst).
8
9 > I want special build host, where all binary targets are built. Its setup
10 > should be easily repeatable by other developers (i.e. every task should be scripted,
11 > without manual tweaks like 'chroot here and patch/emerge this'). Catalyst with
12 > specs and overlays seems fine to me.
13
14 Sure. In fact, I have 2 different "host types" right now, a "master"
15 and a "build host" though they can reside on the same machine.
16
17 > - Which parts of host system affect on resulting target?
18
19 None, if you build *all* of the stages, in order.
20
21 > - I probably do not want update portage tree and world on build host very often,
22 > but want newer snapshots and seed stages to build targets. Is it possible?
23
24 Set portdir in catalyst.conf to anything that you want.
25
26 > I want incremental selective binary updates to be pushed on nodes. I.e. generate
27 > stage4 once, and push only changes for a long period of time. Then repeat.
28 >
29 > - Is it possible with catalyst to produce icremental binary updates (i.e. feed it with
30 > new snapshot and take set of updated packages as a result)? To me seems it is not.
31
32 Huh? Have you ever looked at the package cache?
33
34 ls -l /var/tmp/catalyst/packages/stage4-i686-custom/All > ~/before.txt
35 catalyst -f ~/stage4-i686-custom.spec
36 ls -l /var/tmp/catalyst/packages/stage4-i686-custom/All > ~/after.txt
37 diff -u ~/before.txt ~/after.txt
38
39 > - Is portage tree required on nodes in order to install binary packages (never used them)?
40
41 Yes and no. You don't need a complete tree, but you do need the
42 profiles.
43
44 > - What about sequential stage4 generation without purging cache?
45
46 What about it?
47
48 > And small questions about catalyst internals. Is it possible to use some functions manually?
49 > For example, I want to mount-bind required parts (/proc, /dev, snapshot, distfiles...),
50 > chroot to storedir/tmp/default/stageX, do or test something manually and then exit and unmount.
51 > Is there are any handy scripts to do this? Manual catalyst execution step-by-step?
52
53 Feel free to write one. You can't really use just parts of catalyst.
54
55 > Also it will be good to just look on emerge -pv output, or list URLs which catalyst
56 > tries to fetch (for manual fetching and offline operations).
57
58 Well, I think that you need to spend a bit more time figuring out what
59 catalyst can already do before asking for additional support. Much of
60 what you've asked here, catalyst already does. ;]
61
62 > Any thoughts? How do you guys organize things like this?
63
64 There's this thing called Gentoo.... ;]
67 Chris Gianelloni
68 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
69 Games Developer
70 --