From: Alex <sohalt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] xlivecd does not login automatically
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:04:09
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 22:29 +0000, Alex wrote:
3 >> You said the code was wrong. does it mean it does now auto-login? (or is
4 >> it an interpretation failure again?)
5 >
6 > Yes and no.
7 >
8 > What it *should* do is auto-login to the command line as root, just like
9 > a CD that is not X-based will do. However, root's /root/.bashrc should
10 > be setup to do the following:
11 >
12 > #1. Determine if "nox" appears on the command line, if it does, abort
13 > #2. Determine if X is even installed
14 > #3. Look for /etc/startx (created by catalyst automatically for the
15 > "generic-livecd" livecd/type
16 > #4. Remove /etc/startx, so it doesn't try to auto-start X repeatedly
17 > #5. Start X as the first user defined in livecd/users using "su"
18 > #6. Spit out the MOTD again so you can see it when you switch back to
19 > the console
20 >
21 > Now, this is what it is *designed* to do. If it doesn't do this, then
22 > it's a bug and it needs to be fixed in the code.
23 >
24 > What this will *not* do is setup any kind of auto-login via any display
25 > manager. If you want the display manager configured, you need to do so
26 > yourself. The reason for this is actually pretty simple, we've found
27 > that people's tastes when it comes to how their display manager looks is
28 > much more rabid than we'd like. Using "startx" and allowing the user to
29 > customize via *either* livecd/xsession to start a particular session or
30 > livecd/xinitrc to start something that isn't even defined by a session
31 > gives the user the maximum flexibility, without making it overly
32 > complex.
35 I think this way is lots better than auto-login via a display manager,
36 too, because so
37
38 #1. nobody needs to install a dm on the cd
39 #2. it is easier for you, because you needn't write a configuration file
40 for each dm ;)
41
42 btw would it maybe nice if there's a var in the config to specifiy which
43 user should login, if anyone wants no user to login. Maybe you get this
44 implemented for catalyst 2.0, or I write a patch for such a feature ;).
45 But not now, here is it very late and so i cant concentrate.
46 Just an idea ;)
47
48 bye.
49 --