From: Jackass Project <jackass.project@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Doc Question about CD Overlays
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:11:38
1 Hi. I would like to thank the developers and support staff for Catalyst
2 for all of their efforts in updating and supporting this valuable tool.
3
4 I have a question about the implementation of overlays which I haven't
5 been able to answer by reading the ebuild warnings, the example spec
6 files, the example spec file templates, and the deprecated web page
7 documentation. I'm hoping that you can answer this question for me.
8
9 I am capable of successfully building a Live CD using a variety of the
10 CD spec files without any problems. I would like to add some files
11 to the "/" directory of the Live CD, including a tarball and a portage
12 snapshot. My question is how I should do this.
13
14 I have tried using the "overlay" and the "root_overlay" specifications
15 (without success), such as the following:
16
17 > > livecd/root_overlay: /var/tmp/overlay
18 > > livecd/overlay: /var/tmp/overlay
19
20 I have populated the /var/tmp/overlay directory with the tarball and the
21 portage snapshot that I would like to be overlaid to the "/" directory
22 on the Live CD, and the permissions on the directory and the files are
23 permissive for all users.
24
25 I have tried using the gentoo-release-minimal, gentoo-release-universal,
26 and generic-livecd livecd types, and achieved the same result with each
27 one: when the overlay is specified in the spec file, the size of the
28 .ISO image increases appropriately (suggesting that the desired overlay
29 files were actually included in the Live CD build), but the files are
30 not visible on the booted Live CD. That is to say, once the Live CD is
31 booted, I cannot find the files in ANY of the directories accessible
32 within the Live CD booted environment.
33
34 Am I just not looking in the right place? Where are the files supposed
35 to be located on the Live CD when the livecd/root_overlay and the
36 livecd/overlay specifications are used? They're not in "/" or in any of
37 its subfolders.
38
39 I also have to confess that after reading the deprecated web page
40 documentation, the difference between livecd/root_overlay and
41 livecd/overlay is still somewhat vague to me.
42
43 thanks.
44
45 Bob