From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Some thoughts about NVIDIA and GPL issue...
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:43:21
1 On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 11:14 +0200, Luca Casagrande wrote:
2 > Hi to all!
3 > We all know that build nvidia or ati driver and then use it with our livecd is
4 > breaking the law..
5 > My problem is that the livecd make use of 3d apps (Blender,Paraview,ecc..), so
6 > I am thinking about a solution:
7 > What about an init script runned before x-setup, that ask if you wanna use
8 > those driver?
9
10 Well, this was already discussed on gentoo-dev mailing list some time
11 ago, so it isn't a new idea. (Don't you think we would have already
12 thought of this by now?)
13
14 > If yes, it will emerge nvidia or ati driver; if not it will pass by...
15
16 The only issue with it is disk space. You will need an additional 100+
17 Megabytes of disk space to keep around your configured kernel sources.
18 That is, unless someone takes the time to trace every single file in the
19 kernel tree that gets touched by the drivers when building, and grabs
20 just those files. Doing this would dramatically reduce the disk usage,
21 but would dramatically increase the amount of work required to get a CD
22 to build.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 x86 Architecture Team