From: Georg Lippold <georg.lippold@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Booting problems with udev
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:52:15
1 Hi all,
2
3 Currently, I am experiencing problems with udev on a custom made 2005.1
4 LiveCD. I have a Firewire (IEEE 1394) CD-Rom that I want to boot from.
5 During bootup, all necessary modules are loaded, but the CD-detection
6 fails even if I compile firewire, firewire-blockdev and SCSI-CDROM
7 static. Interesting is, that the CD-detection script just probes all
8 /dev/[hs]daX devices, but not /dev/scdX.
9
10 After that, I get to the following prompt:
11
12 !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
13 Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
14
15 After typing "shell" I can enter the Ramdisk-shell and create my
16 /dev/scd0 by hand:
17
18 mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0
19
20 but when I try to continue booting with
21
22 exec /init
23
24 and then entering /dev/scd0 as boot-device, it successfully mounts it to
25 /newroot but then fails to create the directories /newroot/tmp and
26 /newroot/dev (of course, readonly fs). After it it fails completely with
27 the message
28
29 >> Booting (initramfs)....umount: /sys: Invalid argument
30 *: Failed to unmount the initrd /sys!
31 ..
32 chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
33 Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemped to kill init!
34
35 Obviously, nowhere to go from here... maybe you can tell me what I could
36 change to make it working?
37
38 Greetings,
39