From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: Mounting squashfs fails
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:00:09
1 With respect to a/m post:
2
3 AFAIK, catalyst is using sys-fs/squashfs-tools from the hosting FS, not
4 the one in the chroot.
5 Seems that there's always the potential of breaking the liveCD, when its
6 kernel doesn't support the squashfs generated by catalyst.
7
8 Would be effective if catalyst performs the assertion that kernel &
9 squashfs versions agree.
10
11 Even if the above is not favorable, I think catalyst should not depend
12 on the hosting FS for generating an image. I assume a major design-goal
13 of catalyst is to be as independent as possible from the hosting
14 environment.
15
16 Perhaps catalyst can use a chrooted version of squashfs-tools (like it
17 does w/portage). That would give users a good intervention point for
18 overriding the version of squashfs-tools they want (by setting it in
19 stage1.spec, livecd/packages).
20
21 Amit