From: "Kessler
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Ndiswrapper Mini-Howto of a LiveCD
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:04:55
1 Ndiswrapper on a LiveCD Mini-HowTo
5 Disclaimer: Because ndiswrapper uses Windows drivers results may vary.
6 Before this project I had never touched ndiswrapper, there is a little
7 bit of magic and a good portion of luck involved in getting it to run.
11 1. Installation
15 Due to some kernel dependencies I was unable to emerge the ndiswrapper
16 package (version 1.2 at the time of this writing) from my stage 1 and
17 had to move it to stage 2. Once there it installed just fine. Also be
18 sure to add the wireless-tools package to your stage 1.
22 2. Kernel Options
26 There are several Windows drivers that are known to work with
27 ndiswrapper, a list can be found here
28 http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List
29
30 Several of the cards require minor tweaking of a few kernel options to
31 work properly. One of the more common changes is disabling the 4k_Stacks
32 option. Other than that things are pretty straight forward.
36 3. Driver Preparation
40 Download the Windows Drivers from the manufacturer, if you are unsure
41 refer to the link above for a list of drivers. If you are unsure of the
42 revision of the wireless card that you are using (note: chipsets can
43 change between revisions), then from a shell execute the command lspci
44 -v and find your card on the list if it is detected. This will verify
45 which chipset you are using. Place the drivers into a folder, note that
46 you only need to include the .inf and .sys files.
50 4. Overlay
54 Add a directory to your build using the livecd/root_overlay in stage 2,
55 for example /usr/wireless.
59 5. Starting wireless
63 After your fresh new build boots up, move to a command line then:
64
65 lspci -v <<-verify that your card has been detected
66
67 cd /usr/wireless <<-The location of your Windows drivers
68
69 ndiswrapper -i <FILE_NAME> <<-Note this is the INF file, in previous
70 versions you left off the .inf extension I have only been able to get it
71 to work by leaving it on
72
73 ndiswrapper -l <<-This will list off the loaded driver
74
75 modprobe ndiswrapper <<-Adds your module
76
77 iwconfig wlan0 essid <YOUR SSID HERE>
78
79 iwconfig wlan0 key <YOUR WEP KEY HERE> <<- Only if you use WEP
80 encryption
81
82 dhcpcd wlan0 <<-If you use DHCP
86 For a static IP
87
88 net-setup wlan0 <<-Follow the prompts for a wireless configuration
92 6. Verification
93
94 Iwconfig wlan0 <<-This should now show the information for the
95 associated AP
96
97 Ifconfig <<-Should list wlan0 with activity on the Tx: and Rx:
103 I hope this helps out, as of today I have only tested it with a Linksys
104 WMP54Gv4 wireless card running 128-bit WEP, but it runs great and is
105 very stable with the above configuration.
109 Paul