From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Sort of Build Platform
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:10:54
1 Hi there !
2
3 I'm quitely new to Gentoo, but I'm loving it, so I have projects with it !
4 Some of them may require Catalyst in its process from what I understood
5 about Catalyst.
6
7 I'll copy/paste a forum post I've made before I knew there was a mailing
8 list for Catalyst :
9
10 OK, let me expose things differently since I know a little more what I would
11 like to do and what Gentoo could offer.
12
13 - I have a local mirror, which may have overlay packages.
14 - I have a host system, which have Gentoo setup on it.
15 - I want to build barely-usable minimal systems that I call "guests" from my
16 host. Guests would have to be setup on target machines using fdisk and tar
17 only, or put on a Live{CD,DVD,USB}.
18
19 Assuming that I can kinda cross-compile guests binaries from my host system
20 with emerge (using --root and --portage_configdir, guests have same arch
21 than host), I would like my host system to entirely build my guest BUT I
22 want my guest to be extremely minimal. My guest don't have to have
23 sys-devel/* things like binutils, gcc and so on. It just have to run a few
24 already compiled C++ binaries. Everything that my guest need will be emerged
25 from my host.
26
27 How can I proceed (the clean way !) from my host to emerge (or copy ?) a
28 fully minimal system to a host dir, like say /guest/ ?
29 Did I have to "create" a profile on my local mirror which tells that my
30 "system" meta-port have almost nothing in it ? How can I do this if it's the
31 clean way ?
32 Did I have to use Catalyst ? How can I do this if it's the clean way ?
33
34 Many thanks in advance.
37 Pierre.
38 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
39 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
40 Bill Watterson