From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Lions and Tigers and Forks, Oh My!
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:18:12
1 Just a little FYI for everybody on the list...
2
3 I've gone and forked most of the Release Engineering tools. I no longer
4 plan on maintaining the "Gentoo" versions of catalyst, genkernel,
5 hwdata, or livecd-tools. Instead, I am working on these projects under
6 my own domain and will be releasing them as "standalone" applications,
7 not under the Gentoo moniker. Now, these projects always have been
8 "Gentoo Hosted Projects" and not really owned by the Gentoo project, but
9 continued issues from other developers has proven that many don't
10 understand this case. As such, it was simply easier to break away from
11 the main project. This also allows us greater flexibility in making
12 changes that would otherwise not be accepted within Gentoo. All of the
13 current maintainers of these forks will be working on them in their new
14 homes, making the Gentoo-hosted versions essentially dead.
15
16 The projects are being hosted on wolf31o2.org and are currently being
17 hosted in a set of private git repositories. I'll announce here when I
18 get a chance to get the public repositories online. When I do, I'll
19 change the "catalyst-9999" and "genkernel-9999" ebuilds to reflect the
20 new repository locations.
21
22 I'll keep using this mailing list, for the time being, for my forks of
23 these projects. I will be setting up my own lists, but see no real need
24 to move in a rush, seeing as how low-volume this list usually is.
25
26 Bug reports can be sent to this list or reported to Gentoo's bugzilla,
27 but I won't have permanent access to that location, since I am retiring
28 as a Gentoo developer.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Games Developer