From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Updating deployed stage4 servers
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:02:06
1 Hi yall again!
2
3 I've made a stage4 11 months ago for some servers, and this stage4 is simply
4 amazing! It really works. Tuesday I had to reinstall a server and I did it
5 really quickly. Them I'm using the tinderbox target to generate packages
6 with security upgrades and cfengine to deploy it. Everything works but there
7 are a few cases where I start thinking whether doing the right way.
8
9 The big question I want to make here is: what is the right way to maintain
10 (upgrade) a stage4?
11
12 Right now I use tinderbox. But, it will not generate a seed for the next
13 tinderbox. If I upgrade something like wvstreams from 4.2 to 4.4, the next
14 tinderbox will not know that, because it's using the very first stage4 as
15 seed. My solution was, after building everything, open the stage4, update it
16 manually, close the stage4 with a new name and use it as your seed. A very
17 manual process.
18
19 The second problem is that if something is linked to libwvstreams-4.2.so I
20 will not know, so things can get really messy. The solution here is to build
21 the tinderbox, open the stage4, install the updates and run revdep-rebuild
22 inside the chroot. Keep the resulted package list, close the updated stage4
23 to another name. Use this updated stage4 as the seed to a second tinderbox
24 target witch will rebuild the affected packages. I never did it, but it
25 seems to be a way to go. There is a chance that will have a big loop here.
26 Again, very manual process, very very error prone, I would like to avoid.
27
28 What I noticed is that here on this list there are a lot of people using
29 catalyst to build and maintain a customized version of Gentoo too! What are
30 you people doing? How are you doing kernel upgrades? What about kernel
31 dependand packages (fuse, etc...).
32
33 How should I use the tool to make better use of it?
34
35 Thank you very much!
36
37 Best regards,