From: Robert Paskowitz <rpaskowitz@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] gconfd-2 strikes again
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:23:49
1 Going for another CD build with a newer snapshot, and catalyst 1.1.7,
2 I've hit the gconfd-2 wall again.
3
4 Initial problem:
5
6 The check to see if gconfd-2 is running occurs outside the chroot,
7 which, on it's own is fine. The problem is that gconftool-2 is run from
8 outside the chroot, which is not necesarilly installed on the host
9 system. Even providing a full path is not sufficient, since the linked
10 libraries can be in the wrong place. This is an easy fix, the code
11 segment can be moved to the end of
12 /usr/lib/catalyst/targets/livecd-stage1/livecd-stage1-chroot.sh to have
13 it run within the chroot.
14
15 Subsequent problem:
16
17 gconftool-2 does not actually shutdown gconfd-2. As shown by
18 `gconftool-2 -p; echo $?` (ping), to see if gconfd-2 is running,
19 gconftool-2 return '2' which following the help means it does not
20 believe gconfd-2 is running. This would explain why my attempts with
21 'gconftool-2 --shutdown' failed. From the help, it says that
22 'gconftool-2 --shutdown' should only be used with good reason, which
23 makes me believe it does not perform a very clean shutdown. For that
24 reason, I am personally going back to something along the lines of
25 killall -9 gconfd-2.
26
27 At a minimum, the code segment in
28 /usr/lib/catalyst/targets/livecd-stage1/livecd-stage1.sh should be
29 moved, and I can provide a patch if necessary, but since gconftool-2
30 --shutdown does not appear to work, I think one of the older methods
31 should be reverted to.
34 Robert
37 P.S. -- I've only tried the gconftool-2 --shutdown manually chrooting
38 in, after livecd-stage1 failed. I am having a go with the code in
39 /usr/lib/catalyst/targets/livecd-stage1/livecd-stage1-chroot.sh to see
40 if maybe it will work then.
41 --
42 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list