From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] On catalyst's development process
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:02:14
1 On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > As much as I wish that code quality and code review would only
3 > require the right process, it doesn't. It all comes down to the
4 > people. No matter what the process is, if people want to commit
5 > then they will commit.
6
7 [snip]
8
9 > In both projects it has done nothing (and can do nothing) to keep the
10 > people who do not care much about code quality from committing shit.
11 >
12 > The only way to filter what goes into the repo is by skilled human.
13 >
14 > Skilled humans are rare, and on top of that everyone who cares less
15 > about code quality than the skilled human will get pissed off by how
16 > (perceived) negative and/or critical and/or conservative and/or
17 > demanding the skilled human is. That's also not a lot of fun.
18
19 I think these are the core points of your email. I agree that if
20 people have commit access that they -can- still commit shit. I don't
21 think this is a case worth worrying about now. We have other areas of
22 Gentoo covered by commit-only-if policies and they mostly work. Let's
23 start from the assumption that people won't intentionally disobey a
24 policy.